Great Windows – The Best in New Windows in Richmond Hill
www.greatwindows.ca, a name that is synonymous with …well …great windows.
We’re a Markham based company that proudly installs custom windows and doors throughout York Region and the GTA. We’ve built our reputation on a simple premise, keeping it simple for the customer. We won’t try and blind you with science when we quote on your custom windows and doors but we will (hopefully) impress you enough to earn your trust.
So what do you want in replacement windows or replacement doors?
It’s a bit of a challenge for many home owners because there are a number of factors that come into play and some times they end up competing with each other.
We can help!
Quality Windows and Doors
It’s not always known by the customer that the window installation company is a customer of the window manufacturer. Most window manufacturers don’t compete with their customers, i.e. the window installation contractor.
We generally work with two manufacturers who have proven themselves to offer affordable quality. We absolutely will not install cheaper grade windows.
Any window replacement is with a medium to high end quality window. We flat out won’t install cheaper builder grade windows. While we recognize that sometimes you may want those windows as you might be, for example, selling your house shortly after, we can’t stand behind a low end installation.
There are typically a few things that you will want to look for in your new windows and doors:
- Double glazed windows are fine, triple glazed windows are overkill. All windows and doors should offer an Energy Star rating that is appropriate for Southern Ontario (Trivial Pursuit answer, there are three Energy Star ratings in Canada for 3 different climates)
- Insulation or R-value should not come solely from the inert gas or the spacer. Look for quality vinyl extrusions in the frames as well as glass treatments to deal with UV rays.
- All glass should have vinyl spacers between panes and it doesn’t matter what is in the middle of the panes as long as it is an inert gas such as Argon or Krypton (cue the Superman music)
- Look for quality locking hardware and hinges. The great irony of glass windows or doors with glass in them is that no thief is going to break the glass, any self respecting thief is going through the hardware. Glass is noisy when it breaks.
Great. Now you have top quality windows and doors and some bozo comes along and does the world’s worst installation so you’ve got all kinds of drafting around the window. The window is perfect though.
We only employ experienced installers. They typically work with a helper or labourer who can install windows and doors on his own but may not have the experience to deal with the more complex jobs. And how do we get the best? We pay them. We don’t protect our margins to the point of offering lower quality installations. Ask any one of our installers and they will tell you that while the owners of the company are wonderful guys, that doesn’t pay the bills.
We work on the simple understanding that you like to see daylight through the middle of the window, not around the edges, you want the window to actually fit so that the installation is as well insulated as the window itself and if you want air flow then you’ll open the window not stand next to it when it’s closed. And if you have difficulty knowing when the door is open or when it’s closed we’re guessing that it’s not the greatest installation ever?
Types of Window Installation
We offer three types of window installation, each is dependent on the house and the previous installation:
- Brick to brick. Think about where the brick starts, that’s where the window begins. Brick molding, caulking and insulation complete the look and this offers the most energy efficient and cleanest look. Generally our favourite.
- Stud to stud. Similar to the above but the window is removed to the studs only. The new windows are tied in to the existing structure with aluminum flashing. This is obviously caulked for a weather sealed finish.
- Retro fit. Generally the cheapest alternative by about 20%. All existing trim is left in place and the new windows are installed within existing frames.
Affordable New Windows
Our supplier is one of the better known names in the industry for a reason.
There are two parts to this puzzle.
You need a window installation company who knows windows and doors and who can offer guidance on design alternatives.
Our salespeople have wider experience in home renovations and remodels so they can se ethe bigger picture of what you’re trying to achieve. Of course, if you have a particular design in mind, you’re the customer! But at least listen, it can’t do any harm.
Beyond that, our manufacturer has a virtually infinite combination of designs of window, hardware, glass inserts for doors, sliding door designs. And it gets better, if you can’t find what you’re looking for then we’ll get it made. Custom windows and custom doors are precisely that. While we can offer a catalog, ultimately every window (and many doors) are custom made for sizing so design can easily be another variable as well.
Types of Windows and Doors
Here’s a very quick overview of the varieties of doors and windows that are available to you:
- Casement windows. Open like a door, typical classic type and design. There is also a sealed casement window that won’t open and this is typically the larger single pane that is the front of a bay window.
- Single hung windows. Sliders. No, not the little burgers. The lower pane slides up on a track to open.
- Double hung windows. Yep, you guessed it, the top and bottom panes both slide open.
- Awning windows. Hinged at the top and open to let air in at the bottom. Typically smaller windows and great for letting air in and not having to worry too much about rain. Not that common though.
- Bay windows. Typically three panes with a sealed casement at the front and two casements to each side.
- Bow windows. Usually 5 panes rather than the three of the bay window, offers a more gradual curve in the design.
- Entry doors. Not every door is the same. We can offer you alternatives on the amount of glass in the door, the style, the colour of the door, the material of the door, the finish of the door and finally, the hardware.
- Patio doors and garden doors. Again, there are alternatives, granted not as many as the entry door but you can have sliders, hinged doors (one or two), different styles of glass, different colours of frames, materials and of course hardware. Don’t worry, we can walk you through this door or any other door when we get there.
Why are you looking for vinyl replacement windows?
This recent report by Royal LePage shows a different trend though (http://www.royallepage.ca/realestate/news/canadas-two-largest-real-estate-markets-head-in-opposite-directions-in-the-first-quarter-of-2017/#.WQiIB9y1vX4) as our customers are getting vinyl replacement windows largely to add value to a house. Interestingly, it’s not always to sell the house either and it’s not the historical, “Gimme the cheap and nasty vinyl replacement windows that will last until 20 minutes after I sell the house.”With such a massive investment in moving house, or even staying ironically, the consumer is more discerning. We’ve seen an uptick in higher end vinyl replacement windows. Window and door replacement is no longer a necessary evil, the window is viewed as a picture frame and our customers expect durability and elegance.As we said, new windows are no longer reserved for houses where the old vinyl windows have blown seals or where junior threw a baseball through the window (although today it’s far more likely that he would have a thrown a Rogers cable internet router through the window!). And our customers aren’t buying doors and windows to sell the house either. Back in the day they called it keeping up with the Joneses as houses in the area are renovated. New vinyl windows stand out, they’re clean and sleek and add to curb appeal and of course you can’t just have new doors and windows at the front, at that point you’re pretty much all in.As a consequence of all of this, our sales approach and product offerings have had to change. We’ve never offered the “builder special” replacement vinyl windows, our replacement windows and doors are at the very least midrange so as a company we’ve been ideally positioned to take advantage of this boom as customers seek higher end replacement windows and doors.The energy savings aspects are pretty much a given nowadays, most of the replacement vinyl windows on the market offer energy savings and noise reduction benefits. The real win for the consumer is with the company that offers vinyl replacement windows that add to curb appeal and add to the aesthetic of the house from the inside.And most interestingly from our perspective, even the home owner who is not selling and taking advantage of the red hot real estate market is buying doors and windows a year or two ahead of when they have done historically. Increasingly, in Richmond Hill, we’re seeing house prices continue to grow dramatically but of course as a home owner if you want to be in a place to potentially take advantage fo that trend then your home has to be as appealing as the house down the road. No longer is it enough to throw some new flowers in the garden, consumers are looking at the vinyl windows, they’re admiring the new front door.Curb appeal now means so much more. We saw an estimate a few years ago that consumers could expect to recoup the cost of their vinyl replacement windows inside 3 years with energy savings and the like. Nowadays, it seems that those very same very same vinyl replacement windows are paying for themselves before the caulking is dry.It ain’t rocket science.We have years of experience in this business, we can share all kinds of information with you on what makes a good window or door, what makes a good window installation company and then we can give you a quote that will look like it’s written in Serbo-Croat (if you speak Serbo-Croat it will probably look like Tagalog).Or we can do it the easy way. We’ll measure your windows and doors and give you a quote per opening. Theoretically that will allow you to compare apples with apples in a competitive quote. It won’t. Our quotes are like our windows and our company owners. They’re good looking. And they’re great. Great windows. Great designs. Great quality. Call us, you’ll be grateful that you did.
8-9251 Yonge Street, Suite 256
Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9T
Great Windows is also proudly serving these locations